How to Apply Lithichrome Stone Paint Colors
1. A prime coat (thinned coat) is recommended for the best possible bond for the top color coat.
Mix one part solvent to one part clear. If clear is not available, apply one to one with Lithco Solvent.
2. Color coat needs no thinning unless a lighter tone is required.
Note: colors are sealed with tape. When opened, some solvent may evaporate. Add solvent to thin.
3. When color starts to set, do not disturb with further brushing. Wet brush well to “flow” color as much as possible.
4. If spraying, thinning is necessary; add approximately 1/3 Solvent to color.
Spray light first coat, when dry, spray a substantial second coat. No prime coat is required when colors are thinned for spraying.
5. Clear overcoat is recommended for all Lithco Colors for maximum weathering protection. Brush lightly as to not “pick up” the under color. To maintain color appearance, apply clear every four to five years. No masking required takes only a few minutes and the color remains presentable for many years.
Tips on “touching-up” your family tombstone with stone paint
From questions you’ve asked us:
• If you are touching up lettering with a small paint brush, you likely would want to use the color paint (not the shadow paint which would require more coats).
• You would clean up any oops’s with solvent before it sets.
• The shadow paint has more solvent in it (it’s formulated to be used with a paint sprayer.)
• A 2oz jar is generally plenty to touch up even a largish monument.
• The paint will dry quickly – within 10 minutes. Then you can apply clear top coat.
• The opened paint can last if kept sealed well – if the solvent evaporates you would add a little to thin again.
• The stone paints are formulated to last …some 40 years or so; apply the clear top coat for more longevity. We’ve been asked about walking on pavers – if it’s in the sandblasted lettering – yes, the paint should last.
• No, it won’t work on metal, Lithichrome and Stone Tone are formulated to work on stone.
How to Apply Lithco Gold
1. No thinning required Lithco Gold is made for Spraying. No prime coat needed. If brushing, wet brush well and avoid excessive brushing. “Flow” color as much as possible.
2. Lithco Clear overcoat is recommended for Lithco Gold for maximum weathering protection. Brush lightly as to not pick up the under color. To maintain color appearance, apply clear every four to five years. No masking required takes only a few minutes and the color remains presentable for many years.
Lithco colors, used in making “Natural Flower” carvings and in stone color designing, as distinguished from Hilite and Shadow which is used primarily for lettering and panel contrasting, has been in use in the monument and building stone field since 1953. The bonding resin in Lithco Colors is a product of one of the world’s leaders in chemical technology. They have now made a basic advancement in this resin, resulting in substantially better adhesion, hardness and flexibility. To further enhance the excellent durability of these colors the Lithco Clear overcoat makes a major upgrade.
Lithichrome Color Chart (in pdf)
This list below is so that it shows up on our website’s search, you can click Lithichrome’s product page and request a quote. (On that page, choose your color and click on request a quote button.)
Gallon Sizes: – – – – –
AK0001 GOLD SF80 GALLON (Metallic) LC4055 LC-4055 LC 4055
AK000001 RED GALLON LC4043
AK000002 WHITE GALLON LC4041
AK000003 ABRASIVE SHADE GALLON LC4021
AK000004 BLACK COLOR GALLON LC4060
AK000005 BLACK SHADOW GALLON LC4020
AK000006 BLUE GALLON LC4044
AK000007 BROWN SHADOW GALLON LC4022
AK000008 CLEAR GALLON LC4042
AK000009 GRAY DARK SHADOW GALLON LC4025
AK000010 GOLDEN YELLOW GALLON LC4056
AK000011 GOLD GALLON (METALLIC) LC4054
AK000012 BLUE/GRAY SHADOW GALLON LC4026
AK000013 GRAY TRANSPARENT SHADOW GALLON LC4024
AK000014 HILITE GALLON LC4023
AK000015 GREEN LEAF GALLON LC4040
AK000016 SILVER GALLON (Metallic) LC4058
AK000155 BROWN DARK COLOR GALLON LC4046
AK000161 MAROON GALLON LC4053
AK000163 PURPLE GALLON LC4063
Quart Sizes: – – – – –
AK0024 HI-POLISH QUART LC4087
AK0065 LIGHT YELLOW QUART
AK000017 GOLD QUART
AK000018 ABRASIVE SHADE QUART
AK000020 BLACK COLOR QUART
AK000021 BLACK SHADOW QUART
AK000022 BLUE QUART
AK000023 BLUE/GRAY SHADOW QUART
AK000024 WARM BROWN QUART
AK000025 BROWN SHADOW QUART
AK000026 CEMENT UNDERCOAT QUART
AK000027 CLEAR QUART
AK000028 GRAY DARK SHADOW QUART
AK000029 GOLDEN YELLOW QUART
AK000030 GOLD SF80 QUART
AK000031 GREEN DARK QUART
AK000032 GRAY TRANSPARENT SHADOW QUART
AK000033 HILITE QUART
AK000034 GREEN LEAF QUART
AK000035 MAROON QUART
AK000036 RED QUART
AK000037 SILVER QUART
AK000038 WHITE QUART
AK000078 DARK BROWN QUART
Pint Sizes: – – – – –
AK000039 BLUE PINT
AK000040 GOLD PINT
AK000041 BLACK COLOR PINT
AK000042 BLACK SHADOW PINT
AK000043 BROWN DARK PINT
AK000044 BROWN WARM PINT
AK000045 BRONZE PINT LC4071
AK000046 BROWN SHADOW PINT
AK000047 CLEAR PINT
AK000048 GRAY DARK SHADOW PINT
AK000049 FLESH PINT
AK000050 GOLDEN YELLOW PINT
AK000051 GOLD SF80 PINT
AK000052 GREEN #5 PINT
AK000053 GREEN DARK PINT
AK000054 GRAY TRANSPARENT SHADOW PINT
AK000055 HILITE PINT
AK000056 HI-POLISH PINT
AK000057 GREEN LEAF PINT
AK000058 LIGHT BLUE PINT
AK000059 GREEN LIGHT PINT
AK000060 LIGHT YELLOW PINT
AK000061 MAROON PINT
AK000062 PURPLE PINT
AK000063 RED PINT
AK000064 RUST RED PINT
AK000065 SILVER PINT
AK000066 TAN PINT PINT
AK000067 VIOLET PINT
AK000068 WHITE PINT
AK0060 TRANSPARENT LT GRAY 80Z
Aerosol: – – – – –
AK000069 BLACK SHADOW AEROSOL
AK000070 BROWN SHADOW AEROSOL
AK000071 CLEAR AEROSOL
AK000072 GOLD AEROSOL
AK000073 GRAY AEROSOL
AK000074 HILITE AEROSOL / WHITE
6oz Sizes: – – – – –
AK PINK 6 OZ EA
AK0010 CLEAR 6OZ JAR
AK000075 BLACK 6 OZ EA
AK000076 BLUE 6 OZ EA
AK000077 BROWN DARK 6 OZ
AK000079 FLESH 6 OZ EA
AK000080 GOLDEN YELLOW 6 OZ
AK000081 GOLD 6OZ EA
AK000082 GOLD SF80 6 OZ
AK000083 GREEN #5 6OZ
AK000084 GREEN DARK 6 OZ
AK000085 GREEN LEAF 6 OZ
AK000086 LIGHT BLUE 6 OZ
AK000087 GREEN LIGHT 6OZ
AK000088 LIGHT YELLOW 6 OZ
AK000089 MAROON 6 OZ
AK000090 ORANGE 6 0Z
AK000091 PURPLE 6 OZ
AK000092 RED 6 OZ EA
AK000093 RUST RED 6 OZ
AK000094 SILVER 6 OZ
AK000095 TAN 6 OZ EA
AK000096 VIOLET 6 OZ
AK000097 WHITE 6OZ EA
AK000098 WARM BROWN 6 OZ
2oz Sizes: – – – – –
AK000099 BLACK 2 OZ JAR LC-4060
AK000100 BLUE 2 OZ LC-4044
AK000101 BROWN DARK 2 OZ LC-4046
AK000102 BROWN LIGHT 2 OZ
AK000103 CLEAR 2 OZ LC-4042
AK000104 FLESH 2 OZ LC-4067
AK000105 GOLDEN YELLOW 2 OZ LC-4056
AK000106 GOLD Metallic 2 OZ LC-4054
AK000107 GREEN #5 2 OZ
AK000108 GRAY 2 OZ LC-4048
AK000109 GREEN DARK 2 OZ
AK000110 GREEN LEAF 2 OZ LC-4040
AK000111 LIGHT BLUE 2 OZ
AK000112 GREEN LIGHT 2OZ
AK000113 LIGHT YELLOW 2 OZ
AK000114 MAROON 2 OZ
AK000115 ORANGE 2 OZ LC-4073
AK000116 PINK 2 OZ
AK000117 PURPLE 2 OZ LC-4036
AK000118 RED 2 OZ LC-4043
AK000119 RUST RED 2 OZ LC-4051
AK000120 SILVER Metallic 2 OZ LC-4058
AK000121 TAN 2 OZ
AK000122 VIOLET 2 OZ
AK000123 WHITE 2 OZ LC-4041
AK000124 WARM BROWN 2 OZ
– – – – –
AK000125 SOLVENT GALLON LC4080
AK000126 SOLVENT QUART
AK000127 SAWSHEEN GALLON LC4082
AK000128 SAWSHEEN QUART
AK000129 SAWSHEEN PINT
AK000130 PERMABOND GALLON LC4081
AK000131 PERMABOND QUART
The list above is here for it to show up when you search on our website, but you should click Lithichrome’s product page and request a quote. Thank you! We will also put in this incorrect spelling so that it can be found by searchers: lithochrome and litho.
Lithco directions on can as follows:
Lithichrome SHADOW – Shadow is the standard method in the monument industry for contrasting sandblasted inscriptions and carving backgrounds on all granites and marbles.
DIRECTIONS – before removing stencil, apply the paint with a spray gun or small brush. Airmite Sprayer is recommended for economical savings and speed. Do not hold gun too far away from stone or a dry application will result.
Shadow is immune to ordinary solvents or cleaners but is soluble in Lithco Solvent. When dry, wash in the usual manner.
Flush Airmite sprayer with Lithco Solvent after using.
Spray in well ventilated area – best to use a mask.
Lithichrome paint color
Durable to weather and ultraviolet light; a major source of pigment deterioration. Lithichrome colors are compounded from the most ultraviolet resistant pigments and resins known.
info on HiLite (white)
Whitens inscriptions & carving.
Used for whitening flashed inscription panels and carvings on all colors of granite.
Steeled Effect. Hilite duplicates a steeled look. Since the Hilite particles are fine, it becomes embedded in the granite pores. A light application looks best.
Permabond is used for reducing the color tone of either Hilite, or Shadow, when less color intensity is desired without thinning or affecting the bond strength.
Can be a protective coating.
Apply lightly but completely.
Use Shadow to provide a contrast in lettering or carving. Enhances the letters or carved art.
Applied with a brush, airmite gun or aerosol can.
Solvent removes Hilite & Shadow (before they set) or thins color for spraying.
Cleans Spray Gun or Air Brush.
Lithichrome stone paint, Litho monument paint, Stonetone paint for tombstone, painting on granite, darkening engravings – for all this, Miles Supply is the right place to come for these specialty paints.